Monday, July 17, 2006


<--RBL at Les Patriotes in Contrecoeur

Saturday NRG refed the RBL league. I was one of the two head ref's in charge. I got to say that refereeing the RBL is extremely exhausting. Saturday morning I woke at
6:30 and really had to ask myself if I wanted to do this. For those who don't know, you get shitted on all day being a ref and twice as much being the one in charge. The RBL being a small and new league lacks the organization of the more established tournaments. It is pretty much up to the field owners to decide how and at what quality the tournament will be run. The Les Patriotes recreational center was an excellent venue with a large spectator and staging area, an indoor cafeteria and grassy playing fields.

I always find it funny how newbs always assume refs make the wrong calls. Some even accused us of being biased towards other NRG teams. Honestly, what do I have to gain by losing my credibility? Is it really worth 514 kids winning? I don't think so. Furthermore, why is it that cheaters argue the most, I think that in this league, the beginner players don't even realize they're cheating and when it comes down to pulling them they don't even question the possibility. E.g. guy gets shot on butt pack slides in wiping it, reff from accross the field sees it pulls him, big argument ensues.

In finals we changed the field layout based on the decision of one of the organizers. Later on, we got bitched at by another member of the comity. Goes to show you just can't win being the head ref. I think everyone enjoyed the finals as it attracted a large crowd. The large "L" we had placed at the center of the field, a creation of a stand up and a lay down, generated lots of spectator tension as team after team went for the flag while having to bunker the opposing player. The layout reminded me of old Golden Triangle tournaments. The finals went by smoothly without mistakes as all the refs and head refs were on one field instead of two.

I want to go on the record stating that the food at this event was pure crap. At plus 40 degrees were egg sandwiches really necessary? Hamburgers and hot dogs are the minimum don't lower the standards please. Les Patriotes did supply the refs with a large supply of chocolate, pop and chips for us to snack on, for which we were all very thank full.

I'm going to conclude with the strange behavior I keep seeing at these events. Why do people feel the need to unload their hoppers when they lose (while still being on the playing field)? I saw some kid get upset when I told him he should stop shooting into the adjacent field. He stormed off as if I had cut his liberties or something. Kid you need to realize you’re in a tournament, people are watching and you look like a complete idiot shooting your gun at absolutely nothing. You don't see baseball players swinging their bats furiously when they lose a match. Even more you just shot a loader of paint you could have kept for practice. Why waste paint when what you would have won was a couple of cases anyways. Have some class and lose with dignity.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home